Sunday, January 8, 2012

My Grandmother and My Hair!

Originally Posted June 2011 0n Tumblr

My grandmother is the most supportive person when it comes to me and my choices in life. She’s raised me intro the lovely lady that I am and she has always been in my corner and I love her to death! That being said, why can’t she love my hair??
Last year, I came back from my first year in college and told her that I was going natural and no longer using relaxers. What was her reaction? She laughed at me and said that as soon as I saw how nappy and unmanageable my hair was, I would be running back to my creamy crack.  I brushed it off and tried my best to persevere. From that day on everyday it was, “Please do something with your hair”, “Your hair looks a mess”, “You need a relaxer”, and my personal favorite, “You don’t have the right type of hair to go natural”. When I said that, this is the hair God gave me and that I should love it, she said “well God made a mistake.” WHAT????? Then on top of that, not knowing our hair is not meant to be combed, I tried to comb it WHILE IT WAS DRY! Big mistake! I took that as a sign that I really did have the “wrong type of hair” and that I was better off with a relaxer.
Fast forward another year later! Needless to say, I went back to relaxing. My hair was thin and still not growing. Plus I was still sick of relaxing and spending money on weaves! Time for a change! I had gotten a sew-in in February. When it came time to take it out in April, I decided right then and there that I wasn’t getting a relaxer ever again.
So now I’m home for the summer and I going through the same thing again. This time I’m not going to let it bother me but she really confused me today.
When I first got home, I did a twist and curl and SHE LOVED IT! Today, I did the EXACT same twist and curl and she hated it! She said my hair looked nappy! So now I’m extra confused??  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© 2010 BM0R3Natural
Bloggerized by Dzignine, based on Nekoji design.